Designated Historic Landmarks
All properties have been designated as Historic Landmarks by the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission. Links will direct you to the official Survey and Research reports on the properties.
215 W. Eastway Drive (28213)
Garinger High School
1100 Eastway Drive (28215)
Bishop John C. Kilgo House
2100 The Plaza (28205)
N.S. Alexander House
5014 North Sharon Amity Road (28215)
2010 The Plaza (28205)
2700 East Independence Boulevard (28215)
3500 Shamrock Drive (28215)
1817 Central Avenue (28205)
Robinson Rock House Ruin
2900 Rocky River Road (28215)
1600 The Plaza (28205)
Plaza Midwood Historic District: Dr. Tom Hanchett, Charlotte historian and longtime Eastside advocate, created this self-guided, hourlong walking tour of the neighborhood, which dates to 1903.
Courtesy of Charlotte Burger Blog.
The non-designated property list serves as an inventory of properties that the Commission believes are potentially eligible to be designated as historic landmarks.
3500 East Independence Boulevard (28205)
4057 East Independence Boulevard (28205)
Fire Station Number 8
1201 The Plaza (28205)
2718 Monroe Road (28205)
South 21 Drive-In
3101 East Independence Boulevard (28205)
Cole Manufacturing Company Plant
1318-F Central Avenue (28205)
Eastland Mall Signs
5595 Central Avenue (28212)
Lawrence Orr House
5025 Lawrence Orr Road (28212)
Pure Oil Station
1501 Central Avenue (28205)
William and Rachel Newel Neil House
1412 West Rocky River Road (28213)
Charlotte Museum of history
3500 Shamrock Drive, Charlotte, NC 2815
From the organization's website: The Charlotte Museum of History is a 501 (c)(3) not-for-profit organization that interprets and preserves Charlotte’s unique history, enriching the community through shared understanding of the past and inspiring dialogue about the future.
The Museum is the steward of the ca. 1774 Hezekiah Alexander Home Site, a National Register of Historic Places site, and places an emphasis on the settlement of the Carolina Backcountry and the ideas and events that led to the American Revolution. The Alexander House is the last extant home of a framer of North Carolina’s 1776 Constitution and Bill of Rights and the oldest surviving house in Mecklenburg County. In addition to the house, the Alexander home site contains a reproduction log kitchen, reconstructed two-story springhouse and log barn.